After using OS X for the past six months I’ve kept mentally jotting down random thoughts.
1. Apple, update your dev tools. Your GDB and GCC are ancient and buggy (almost four years old)!
2. Off-topic: Why do some Apple users get so whiny about Firefox missing unnoticeable UI aspects? Safari looks completely out of place on Windows.
3. OS X usually just works. The UI is infinitely better than Linux (which doesn’t say a lot) – it’s great to have a Unixy OS with a pleasing UI.
4. Functionality for Home/End is horrible and broken. Fix it.
5. Spaces rocks. On Windows I need multiple monitors; on Mac I only need one.
6. Macbook keyboards are crap, crap, crap. Half the keys I use frequently are missing. I realize other people might not use these, and I realize there are key combinations you can use instead. This creates yet another disparity I have to learn, which is odd as the disparity is between Mac products.
7. Macbook mouse button is crap too. Why do I need two hands, and three fingers to right click, when the button is clearly big enough to at least give the user option for one side to be biased toward right clicking?
8. Macbook crappiness: why is there no pointing stick? Fitts Law — repositioning hands to move between clicking and typing is a pain.
9. Macbook continued: are there nuclear reactions going on in the left back corner? It burns.
10. Dock is far more useful than the Windows taskbar, though I miss an overall applications listing. Someone should combine the best of both worlds.
11. Thank god for macports.
12. There are places where the one-menu-bar doesn’t play out nicely. Closing the system prefs window, for example, leaves the application open – with no easy way (if there is one at all) to bring it back up. But re-launching the app doesn’t bring up the window, so you are stuck with a useless menu bar until you Cmd+Q.
13. Why the hell do I get constantly bugged to update iTunes and QuickTime and to reboot the whole machine from these updates which I don’t care about?
14. OS X needs to learn how to multitask. One app thrashing one core will grind my system to a halt. This doesn’t happen on Windows.
15. OS X takes forever to let an app crash. Even a simple shell program will sit and pause for 5-10 seconds. Need a way to disable the crash reporter entirely? And forget about Firefox – can take 5 minutes for a debug version to die.
16. Speaking of which, it’s easy to get programs into an unkillable state. It’s like you need a “kill -s 666” to uber-kill processes that are zombied. Processes being analyzed by the crash reporter seem to fall into this category. Very annoying.
17. Where is mspaint for OS X?
18. I really like stickies. Though, why can’t I move them from one space to another?
19. iChat is pretty nice.
20. Terminal is surprisingly awesome. The Gnome and KDE terminals feel really bad in comparison.
21. The two-finger-scroll on Macbook touchpads is amazing. I keep trying to use it on my Thinkpad and quickly realize how much I miss it.
22. I have yet to find a use for the dashboard. Maybe if there’s a way to put arbitrary apps on it I’d use it.
23. What’s with Mail.app? Every time I click “Erase all deleted messages” or “Erase all junk,” absolutely nothing happens.
24. Why does installing OS X make you sit through a 15 second “introduction” that’s just the world “Welcome” flying around in a bunch of random languages?
25. The security model is a lot more usable than Vista’s UAC (which, by the way, I like for the most part). Where is Vista’s “keychain?” Maybe Microsoft thinks it’d be exploited too easily.
Overall I really enjoy using OS X. If only Valve bothered porting their server software! I don’t think I’ll buy a Macbook though. As a touch typist (and perhaps related, a developer) the input mechanisms are too awkward.
Thanks for not losing your objectivity. People usually have lots of prejudices about Apple software and hardware.
I’ve always hated the feel of the mac keyboards. If I ever got a mac, I think I’d have to buy a real keyboard to replace the one that comes with it.
Someday, I’ll come for you, Das Keyboard… someday…
I’ve got a Das Keyboard (the old one), perhaps not worth the large price but I like it. It’s the right balance of tactile response and I no longer look at the keys (or, if I do, it’s just to see relative positions).
“Apple, update your dev tools. Your GDB and GCC are ancient and buggy (almost four years old)!”
Apple is moving toward LLVM, partly because of GPLv3 (which is another mess altogether. Clue: it is related to the iPhone).
Having read this I believed it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time and effort
to put this article together. I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both
reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!
Quality posts is the key to invite the users to go to see the site, that’s what
this web site is providing.
If you are going for finest contents like me, only pay a visit this website all the time since it offers
quality contents, thanks
my homepage two broke girls [http://www.googlerussen.com]
I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website :)
The next time I read a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I know it was my option to learn, but I actually thought youd have one thing attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you would repair for those who werent too busy on the lookout for attention.
Brokers of this kind invent active are those
that do not contain a lot of innovative features, lots of types of agreements, a lot of assets and all type of complicated expiration times.
przepis na sos czosnkowy
Alexander Castro EA
Excellent site. Lots of useful information here. I’m sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks on your sweat!
I have read a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to make such a great informative web site.
Hiya, I am really glad I’ve found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossips and net and this is really frustrating. A good website with exciting content, this is what I need. Thanks for keeping this web-site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can’t find it.
It¡¦s truly a great and useful piece of information. I¡¦m satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
You can that pass for some limited minds, but for open minds, this information is worth gold! Thanks for sharing these knowledge.
Thank you for every other excellent article.I’ve a presentation next week, and I have found what I can add in my speech. Great job!
Considero muy adecuada la forma en que se ha tratado este tema en este artículo, porque pienso que dada su naturaleza no es fácil abordarlo.
Quiero darte las gracias por toda la orientación que ofreces en este artículo. Realmente, me ha servido mucho!
So if you happen to’re working 30 minutes three times a week
and logging 45 minutes on the weekend (a total of one hundred thirty five minutes),
you can improve your exercise time by thirteen to 14
minutes total the following week.
Inspired by MJ, the Jordan Collection by Nike options widespread sneakers, clothing and kit designed that will help you carry out and look your
finest, each on and off the courtroom.
I’ve learn a few excellent stuff here. Definitely helpful bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you place to create this type of great informative website.
I read this post completely concerning the comparison of newest and previous technologies, it’s remarkable article.
Thanks – Enjoyed this update, how can I make is so that I receive an email sent to me every time you write a fresh article?
thankxs for the info
It can be terrific to get the opportunity to study a fantastic high quality report with handy details on subjects that lots are interested on.I concur along with your conclusions and will eagerly search forward for your future updates.
Marveling at the amount of time as well as attempt you invested in your blogging site as well as thorough info you offer.Thanks.
Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!
It really is best time to develop strategies in the future along with it’s time to be at liberty.
its def. worth it